- Friends of The National Archives
- Free enewsletter
- Social media
- Have your say
Your feedback and our response
We take your complaints, suggestions and concerns seriously. Here is some recent feedback you gave us, and how we responded. Contact us to make an enquiry or to give your comments and suggestions.
Comments and requests updated January 2014
- What you said What we have done
- You asked why it was so difficult to contact the Bookshop The Bookshop now has a direct line, which is 0208 392 5394
- You were concerned that the pond was covered in green slime and that wildlife would suffer We contacted a company that removed the slime which now allows oxygen into the water
- Documents sent to print only stay in the queue for two hours - can this be increased? The time documents remain in the queue has been extended from two hours to 11 hours.
Can you clarify the rules about bags on the poster at the foot of the staircase?
We have amended the poster to point users to the free lockers on the ground floor where they may store bags, coats and so on.
[Our neighbours] Your trees are overhanging our gardens - can you trim them back, please?
The branches have been pruned back accordingly.
Your swans are making a nest in a vulnerable place. Can you offer them some protection from vermin attacks?
We sought advice from the Swan Sanctuary and are following their advice on installing suitable protection for the nesting birds.
ComplaintsWe receive complaints in a number of ways, including emails, feedback forms and letters, as well as telephone calls and in person. You can also read previous months' complaints.
- Summary of complaint and date received Background information Action taken
- Complainant requested information on SOE agent ' Parlevliet Hermanus' and operation Beetroot - advice given was poor 10 December - reference: 4104 Users can ask for guidance or advice on their research We apologised for the way the complainant's correspondence was handled and amended the error in Discovery's file description relating to 'Parlevliet'.
- Web Archive did not allow me to find and have access to legislation that was in force before November 2008 - that was superseded by the document you have archived 11 December - reference: 4115 Web Archive holds snapshots of archived Governmental web site The web page required by the complainant had not been archived and we supplied a link to the requested page.
- The complainant wanted to access the Map Room to get advice from staff, but could not access the room as they arrived without the correct Identification to apply for a readers ticket 12 December - reference: 4117 Users require a readers ticket to access the Map Room and Document Reading Room Staff confirmed that the complainant needed to speak to staff in the Map Room - but did not alert service managers to the situation, for which we apologised. On the complainant's next visit, we were able to make available staff with knowledge of the subject matter.
- After downloading, the complainant opened the document and found it to be unreadable. The complainant could just make out which of the 6 cards was the one required - the quality was described by the complainant as dreadful 18 December - reference: 4137 Users can search and download digitised records via Downloads Direct We apologised for the quality of the image and explained that we are working on a preview for the record series. We explained how and why the records are arranged the way they are and refunded the fee as the record was of poor quality.