- Opening times and closure dates
- Where to find us
- Before you visit
- When you arrive
- Disabled access
- Group visits
- What's on at The National Archives
- What's on elsewhere
Discovering collections, discovering communities
12 October 2015
When: Monday 12 - Wednesday 14 October 2015
Where: The Lowry, Pier 8, Salford Quays, Manchester, M50 3AZ
Cost: There is no conference fee (charges apply to the evening receptions).
Registration is now closed for this year's collaborative conference, Discovering Collections, Discovering Communities: Exploring new digital destinations for heritage and academia.
This year's conference brings together over 70 speakers from across the UK, Europe and further afield to explore key questions facing the future of digital engagement:
- In what ways can we ensure that digital engagement is truly 'engaging'?
- What is the relationship between online 'hits' and actual footfall?
- How can we better capture the meaningful 'impact' of engagement via digital means?
- During a time of austerity, how can all sectors make the case for innovative digital engagement, not as an indulgent luxury, but as a necessity to preserve the broader relevance and wider-recognition of collections?
These are just some of the questions the conference's 12 panels, 6 workshops, and 4 keynote speakers will be looking to address.
We are delighted to announce the support of The Wellcome Library as headline sponsor for this year's conference, and for The British Library and Jisc as supporting sponsors.
We are also pleased to announce our four keynote speakers, drawn from across the heritage, cultural and academic sectors will be:
- Simon Chaplin, Director of Culture and Society, The Wellcome Trust
- Simon Tanner, Director of Digital Consulting, Kings College London
- Valerie Johnson, Interim Director of Research and Collections, The National Archives
- Lucie Burgess, Associate Director for Digital Libraries and Collection Management, University of Oxford
So please join us for what will be a fascinating two and a half-days of discussion, debate and networking.