Cartoon entitled: ‘Attack on the workhouse at Stockport’ from Illustrated London News, 20 August 1842, Catalogue ref: ZPER 34/1 f.236
- What building is shown in the cartoon?
- Can you describe the people in the crowd?
- What is happening in this scene?
- Why do you think a workhouse is being attacked?
- How far is this cartoon evidence of social unrest?
- Why do you think this cartoon appeared in the Illustrated London News?
- Can you explain a link between events shown here and the Chartists demands in Source 1?