|Name and Surname||Relationship to Head of Household||Age||Sex||Marriage or Orphanhood||Birthplace and Nationality||School||Personal Occupation||Employment||Place of Work|
|William Edwin Hargreaves||Head||40.6||M||Married||Lancashire, Clitheroe||[Blank]||Cotton warehouseman||Bury Bro. Fountain Mill||Accrington|
|Thamer Mary Hargreaves||Wife||42.11||F||Married||Lancashire, Edenfield||[Blank]||Cloth looker, cotton warehouse||Bury Bro. Fountain Mill||Accrington|
|Allan Lucas Hunt Hargreaves||Son||13.3||M||Both alive||At Sea (British Born)||Part time||Errand boy||Ed Tipping, Grocer||Accrington|
|Mary Orie Hargreaves||Daughter||11.1||F||Both alive||Lancashire, Clitheroe||Whole time||[Blank]||[Blank]||[Blank]|
|Mary Hargreaves||Mother||82.5||F||Widow||Lancashire, Rawtenstall||[Blank]||House duties||[Blank]||[Blank]|
I declare that this Schedule is correctly filled up to the best of my knowledge and belief
[signed] William Edwin Hargreaves
« Return to Case Study F – Accrington
- Look at Source One and answer these questions.
Source one- 1921 Census record- The National Archives (RG15/20131)
- What do you William and Thamer’s jobs involved?
- What do you notice about Allan’s birthplace?
- What types of fruit and vegetables do you think would have been sold at the grocers in the 1920s? Why did people have to buy fresh fruit and veg very often?
- Who is doing the job ‘home duties’? Why does house work take a long time in the 1920s?
- What else can you learn about this family?
- What questions do you have about this family that are not answered by the census record? Write these down and keep them.