A photograph taken in 1887 (COPY 1/382)
1. Look carefully at the photograph. The photograph can tell us a lot about Victorian Britain – such as what the fashions at the time were, and the size of families. We can also get an idea about how wealthy these people were.
- Can you find a cricket bat?
- How many hats are there in the photograph?
- Look carefully at the children. Count how many are boys and how many are girls.
- Do you think these were wealthy people? Give your reasons why you think that.
- How old do you think the children are in the photograph?
- In what ways are the children’s clothes different to those worn today?
- Do you think all the children belong to this one family?
- What does this photograph tell us about the roles of wealthy men, women or children?
- What can we see in the background of the photograph?
- Where do you think it might have been taken?
- Why do you think this photograph was taken?
- Is this photograph posed in any way?