- According to source 3a, a letter from the British Ambassador in Moscow to the British Foreign Office, what was the Soviet press reporting?
- Why do you think the Soviet newspapers’ response to the racial disturbances was "as was to be expected"? (Clue: Think about the relationship between the USSR and the USA at this time and about any differences between the two superpowers.)
- In source 3b, why did these London branches of the Communist party write to the Prime Minister, Harold Macmillan, about the President of the USA?
- What did these branches of the Communist party want Macmillan to do about racial problems in Britain?
- Are there any similar points made in source 3a and source 3b?