- This report was written in March 1948 and presented to
the British Cabinet by the Foreign Secretary, Ernest Bevin.
- It was a very long report and the extract below is one
section in which he sums up his view of Stalin's aims.
- The overall title of the report was 'The Threat to Western
Civilisation'. That gives a clue to the general tone of his report!
- The Eurasian land mass means the land which makes up
the Continents of Europe and Asia.
- The World Island means simply 'the world'.
- The Politburo is the Soviet equivalent of the British
Cabinet - the leading politicians in the USSR.