Evidence demonstrates that the most effective fundraising organisations have a strategic approach, which connects their fundraising to their strategic plans and advocacy work. However, in a recent survey of repositories only 33% of respondents had a fundraising strategy.
We advise archive services to develop a strategic approach to fundraising. This should include:
- creating a case statement, evidencing the need for funding support
- an analysis of potential funding sources and who might be competing for these
- identifying appropriate funding techniques and the resources needed to implement them
- outlining responsibilities within the organisation relating to delivering the strategy
- setting targets and realistic timescales
- identifying a budget for implementation