Who can apply to Archives Revealed?
These eligibility criteria relate to both the Cataloguing and Scoping funding strands:
- public sector bodies throughout the UK (including Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland)
- registered charities throughout the UK
- other not-for-profit organisations throughout the UK
- organisations that make their collections accessible to people outside their organisation
- organisations that have access to professional archive expertise
- organisations with owned or deposited collections, providing they can provide a commitment from the depositor that the collection will not be withdrawn from public access or sold within ten years of the project end date
Archives Revealed does not fund:
- profit-making organisations (see note below)
- private individuals
- organisations based in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man
- organisations where collections are located outside of the UK
- organisations who are contributing to the funding of the Archives Revealed scheme
- organisations that do not plan to make their collections accessible to people outside the organisation
- organisations that have not made provision to access professional archive expertise
- archives that have submitted more than one application to Archives Revealed in the same round
Profit-making organisations: if your parent body is a profit-making organisation, do you have a friends group or a charitable arm/trust that could make an application on your behalf? Please note that you will be expected to provide clear justification, demonstrating the public benefit of receiving a grant.
If you would like to talk to us about whether your organisation is eligible, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I apply?
We have revised the guidance and application process based on feedback received after round 1 (2018-19). Even if you have applied before, please read the guidance before applying.
We strongly encourage anyone thinking of applying to contact us to discuss your project before submitting an application form. Please email email@example.com to arrange a mutually convenient time.
To apply at phase 1, please use our online application form.
The application form is hosted on a new grant management system. You can read guidance for how to set up an account and complete your application on the system here:
Archives Revealed grant management system user guidance (PDF, 1.0 MB)
Please note: Word limits apply when indicated on the application form. If your answer exceeds the advised word limit, your application will be ineligible.
You can download the text of the application form to help you in preparing your application. This document gives you the questions and any word limits that will be applied. You may find it useful to prepare your application in a word processing application, and cut and paste your responses into our form when complete. Applications are to be submitted online only.
For full phase 1 application guidance, see Help with your application.
Frequently asked questions
Read our Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 0.42 MB)