Archives Revealed is a funding programme from The National Archives and The Pilgrim Trust which supports the cataloguing of archive collections. It is designed to transform access to archives for a wide range of users, enabling more people to engage with the UK’s rich documentary heritage.
Up to £40,000 for archives to create catalogues of important archival collections. These grants will open up access to collections that matter to researchers and communities and that increase public engagement with history. This strand will reopen for applications later in 2019.
A scoping grant funds an assessment report incorporating expert advice on a range of areas relating to collections management and the development of your collection. The scoping grant funding scheme is a rolling programme with decisions being made on a quarterly basis.
Archives Revealed aims to
- enable archives to identify, catalogue and make accessible significant collections that would otherwise remain hidden
- help archives explore and assess their collections
- open up a wide range of archive collections to the public, initiating new research, inspiring creative responses to archive material, and making connections with people and communities
- help archives to build fundraising skills and confidence through the application process
Archives Revealed is administered by a dedicated team at The National Archives. We will provide applicant archives with access to e-learning, webinars and workshops: these will help more archives to access support and build resilience for the future.
We welcome applications from organisations considering innovative approaches to cataloguing.
- Increase access to previously unavailable archive material
- Increase engagement with archive collections by wider audience groups
- Enable deeper use of archive material to further understanding of collections
- Increase confidence and skills of archivists so they can successfully secure income to fund archive development.
- More collections of significance will be catalogued
- Members of the public will be made aware of the newly catalogued material and will know how to access it
- The newly catalogued archive material will be used for a range of purposes
- Archivists and sector professionals will have the confidence to advocate for their services and will be able to secure new funding for further projects
Please see our FAQs for answers to the most popular questions about the Archives Revealed programme.