We have a restaurant that serves breakfast from 08:30 to 10:30 and lunch from 12:00 to 14:30. Dietary information is printed on the menu. Our café, located on the first floor, serves specialty coffees and teas, cakes, pastries, snacks and sandwiches. Click here for full opening times.
The Public Restaurant
Our main dining area is located on the ground floor, opposite the shop and the Keeper’s Gallery. Visitors are allowed to bring and eat their own food in the restaurant.
- From the main entrance there is level access and the route is at least 800mm wide
- There are no steps to get to a table, and if you need table service, catering staff can assist you
- Tables and plates used in the restaurant have high colour contrast
- We cater for sugar-free (diabetic), vegetarian, gluten-free (coeliac), lactose-free, nut-free, low-fat, low-potassium, low-sodium and vegan specific diets. Please ask a member of staff for dietary information
- Background music is not played in the restaurant
The Balcony Café
The Balcony Café is located on the first floor, connected to the Open Reading Room. Only drinks, sandwiches and cakes are served here, but visitors may bring up food purchased in the restaurant.
- There is level access from the lift and the route is at least 920mm wide
- There are no steps to get to a table, and if you need table service, staff can assist you
- There is seating outside on the balcony area which does not have level access
- Background music is not played in the Balcony Café
Located just outside the main entrance to The National Archives is the Terrace seating area, which all visitors are welcome to use.
- There is level access and a permanent ramp
- There are no steps to get to a table
- Background music is not played