Do you want to find out more about The National Archives’ research and academic collaboration? Are you looking to collaborate with us on an academic project, a funding bid or an event?
The best way to start is to contact the Research team and we will point you in the right direction. If you’d like to register for our research newsletter, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that we cannot assist with enquiries from the public about how to do research using The National Archives’ collections. For advice on this, go to Help with your research.
Who we are and what we do
The Research team leads and coordinates all of the research we do at The National Archives.
Our work reflects the range of activities that The National Archives carries out as an Independent Research Organisation.
For example, we:
- Support The National Archives’ research grant applications by managing an internal grants approval process and working with applicants on their bids. We also provide support to current projects
- Create and implement strategies for The National Archives’ research
- Run academic events and training
- Design and manage academic programmes such as collaborative PhDs
- Coordinate The National Archives’ communications with research communities, through Twitter, our research newsletter and more
- Develop The National Archives’ relationships with research and academic communities and establish key partnerships
In addition, many of us in the Research team carry out research in our own right.
The members of our team are:
- Pip Willcox, Head of Research
- Dr Eirini Goudarouli, Head of Digital Research Programmes
- Dr Jessica Lutkin, Head of Research Funding
- Jenny Bunn, Head of Archives Research
- Mark Bell, Senior Digital Researcher
- Bernard Ogden, Research Software Engineer
- Andrea Kocsis, Friends of the National Archives Research Fellow (Advanced Digital Methods)
- Dr Rachel Smillie, Head of Academic Partnerships
- Dr Charlotte Crouch, Academic Engagement Manager
- Dr Louise Seaward, Academic Engagement Manager
- Liz Fulton, Academic Communications and Impact Officer
How to contact us
Please email the Research team if you would like to discuss a potential research project or collaboration, or if you have any questions about our research.
If you do not already have a named contact at The National Archives, we will either respond to you direct or refer you to one of our colleagues.
Alternatively, you may prefer to browse our staff research profiles to find out which colleagues have expertise in particular areas.
Find out how to propose a research idea.