The Friends of The National Archives perform a valuable role by helping to raise funds to support The National Archives. In joining the Friends, you will play a part in protecting the nation’s records.
Donations from Friends help The National Archives carry out its vital work. Read how your donations have helped fund our projects.
You can also volunteer for hands-on work with our historical records, helping to make them more accessible to researchers, as well as the general public.
How to join
You can sign up online on the membership site for the Friends of the National Archives.
Benefits to you
Become a Friend from just £15 a year (depending upon age and options for renewal and magazine delivery).
As a member you will receive:
- 20 per cent discount on purchases at The National Archives’ shop in Kew and the online bookshop
- 20 per cent discount on charges for events run by The National Archives, including conferences
- free access to exclusive Friends-only events, including behind the scenes tours and visits to historic buildings and collections
- exclusive use of the Friends’ lounge
- a members’ magazine – two issues a year
- an email newsletter published every two months with news and events
Behind the scenes tours of The National Archives
Members-only behind-the-scenes guided tours of The National Archives’ repositories and Collection Care department are run twice a year on the first Wednesday in May and the last Friday in September.
The tours are a membership benefit and places are offered on a first-come, first-served basis.