Hearth Tax return, 1666

The Hearth Tax was introduced in 1662 and continued until 1689. Occupiers of houses were required to pay a tax of 2 shillings for each of their hearths. This return for an area in the City of London indicates the number of hearths for each of the occupiers - including Thomas Farrinor, who owned the bakery in Pudding Lane where the Great Fire of London started.
Catalogue reference: E 179/252/32 (1666)

Transcript
document
document
document
document

 

close window
back to top of page