The Information Management Assessment focuses on gaining a clear picture of an organisation’s policies, processes and practices.
It examines five key areas:
- the value of information
- the technology environment
- information policies and performance monitoring
- management of risk
- records review, selection and transfer
The programme aims to support and encourage organisations to review their own capability in relation to information management practice and processes.
On site visits, scrutiny of documentation, a published report and further follow up all help to raise the profile of information management and improve standards within the whole organisation.
An organisation is incorporated into the on-going IMA programme once its action plan is closed.
For those departments and agencies that have had a full IMA, a lighter touch reassessment reviews:
- key changes in the department since the last assessment
- progress on any issues arising from the original assessment
- current key information risks
- progress towards implementation of the 20 year rule