- Purchase images
Events and exhibitions
This collection comprises photographs from 1851-1951, which focus on festivals celebrating national culture and industry, as well as elaborate exhibitions exploring the Orient and India. Though many of these great exhibitions took place in London, there were also major events in cities such as Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester and Wolverhampton. Note this collection does not include sporting events, and is unlikely to include brief one-off events.
Click on thumbnails to enlarge images
- The Great Exhibition building, 1851
- The Great Exhibition: Egypt, Turkey and Greece, 1851
- Festival of Empire Exhibition, 1911. General view of site
- Poster for Brock's firework displays on Thursdays at Crystal Palace, 1899
- Great Exhibition, 1851; admission tickets
- The Orient in London, 1895
- Imre Kiralfy's Empire of India Exhibition, Earl's Court, 1895
- Festival Of Britain, 1951: Skylon and Dome of Discovery
- Festival Of Britain, 1951: Nelson Pier and sculpture 'The Islanders'
- Festival Of Britain, 1951: crowded piazzas
- Festival Of Britain, 1951: 3D cinema audience
- Festival Of Britain, 1951: Battersea Pleasure Gardens: Vista Arcades