- Purchase images
Entertainment and theatre
A variety of Victorian theatre and circus performers, travelling zoos and national exhibitions are captured here in posters and early photographs. This collection also includes records of the more recent world of show-business, such as ships’ passenger lists of 20th century entertainers who left Britain before finding fame.
Click on thumbnails to enlarge images
- Outwards Passenger List noting emigration from UK to USA of Bob Hope
- Audience watching Punch and Judy show, Hereford, 1898
- S H Baker and his musical pigs, 1899
- James Morris, the elastic-skinned man, 1899
- Annie Jones, the bearded lady, 1899
- World's Fair, Royal Agricultural Hall, 1886.
- Anderton and Haslam's Menagerie, 1894
- Poole's Myrioramic Realizations, 1895
- The Booths, aerial duo, 1895
- Wombwell's Menagerie, Crystal Palace, 1897
- Sanger's Circus procession at Bognor, 1884
- Colonel William 'Buffalo Bill' Cody and indian chiefs, 1904