The National Archives
Search our website
  • Search our website
  • Search our records
   
 
Montage of three nurses. All images © Wellcome Library, London. References: L0010490, L0018470, L0010789. Hospital Records Database
Welcome (Hospital Records home page) About Hospital Records
Search Help - opens in a new window
 
 
 

Details: Aldbury Infectious Diseases Hospital, Aldbury

search again
 
 
Go to:  Name  |  Administration  |  Status/Type  |  Other info  |  Records

Name

 

Present name

Aldbury Infectious Diseases Hospital 

Previous name(s)

Aldbury Joint Isolation Hospital (c.1930 - 1948)
Berkhampstead Infectious Diseases Hospital  

Address

Newground Road Aldbury  

Foundation Year

1871 

Closed

Yes 

Closure year

1948 

Administrative authorities

Regional Hospital Board (1948-74)

Not Applicable 

Hospital Management Committee (1948-74)

Not Applicable 

Regional Health Authority (1974-82)

Not Applicable 

Regional Health Authority (1982- )

Not Applicable 

District Health Authority (1974-82)

Not Applicable 

District Health Authority (1982- )

Not Applicable 

County (before 1974)

Hertfordshire 

County (1974-1996)

Not Applicable 

County (after 1996)

Not applicable 

Status

Pre 1948

Local Authority

Post 1948

Type

Pre 1948

Isolation

Post 1948

Other information

Aldebury Isolation Hospital was built in 1871 by the Berhamsted Sanitary Authorities for the use of the inmates of the Berkamsted Union. It had 16 beds in 1871 although by 1948 that number had increased to 24. The hospital was situated in Newground Road. On 13 June 1898 the Aldbury Hospital Joint Committee took responsibility for the Hospital. It held its first meeting on 13 June 1898, and consisted of three members of Berhamsted Rural District Council, three members of Great Berkhamsted Urban District council and three members of Tring Urban District council. In 1902 Tring Isolation Hospital and Aldbury combined services, with Tring taking all the smallpox cases and Aldbury all the scarlet fever cases. It was used during the First World War as a military hospital. In 1948 when the National Health Service was created the future of Aldbury Hospital was uncertain; however, in September 1948 the hospital was closed.

Records can be found at:

notes

  Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1877 - 1949

   General

1877 - 1948

   Finance

1898 - 1949

   Nursing

-

   Staff

-

Finding aids

Finding aids

Brief Guide(BG), Catalogue

Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR)

Details

At Repository: CAT: HI1

Catalogues in A2A

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=046-h&cid=0External website - link opens in a new window

 
 
search again
 
The National Archives Newsletter Icon

Send me The National Archives’ newsletter

A monthly round-up of news, blogs, offers and events.