The Hospital Records database is no longer being updated. We continue to make this information available for inspection and reuse but can no longer guarantee its accuracy. You can search Discovery to find records held here at The National Archives and in other UK archives.
The National Archives
Search our website
  • Search our website
  • Search our records
   
 
Montage of three nurses. All images © Wellcome Library, London. References: L0010490, L0018470, L0010789. Hospital Records Database
Welcome (Hospital Records home page) About Hospital Records
Search Help - opens in a new window
 
 
 

Details: Altrincham General Hospital, Altrincham

search again
 
 
Go to:  Name  |  Administration  |  Status/Type  |  Other info  |  Records

Name

 

Present name

Altrincham General Hospital 

Previous name(s)

Lloyds Fever Hospital (1853 - ?)
Altrincham Provident Dispensary and Hospital, and Lloyds Fever Hosital (1870 - 1877)
Altrincham Provident Dispensary and Hospital (1877 - 1935)  

Address

Market Street Altrincham WA14 1PE 

Previous location

Market Street and Regent Road (alternative description).

Foundation Year

1853 

Closed

No 

Administrative authorities

Regional Hospital Board (1948-74)

Manchester 

Hospital Management Committee (1948-74)

North and Mid-Cheshire 

Regional Health Authority (1974-82)

North Western 

Regional Health Authority (1982- )

North Western 

District Health Authority (1974-82)

Trafford 

District Health Authority (1982- )

Trafford 

Current Trust

Trafford Healthcare NHS Trust 

Trust From

1994 

County (before 1974)

Cheshire 

County (1974-1996)

Cheshire 

County (after 1996)

Cheshire 

Status

Pre 1948

Voluntary

Post 1948

NHS

Type

Pre 1948

General, Isolation

Post 1948

Acute, Geriatric, AC: 1948 - c.1988. GER: c.1988 - 1996. OTHER: 1996 - 1996 Minor injury treatment.

Other information

A voluntary hospital, opened in 1853 as Lloyds Fever Hospital. It was joined by a Children's Despensary in 1858 and a Provident Dispensary in 1861. Meanwhile Altrincham Board of Guardians had built a central institution at Knutsford - see Cranford Lodge Hospital, Macclesfield - and had sold the Altrincham workhouse land. The trustees of Altrincham Workhouse Charity decided to provide a new building for the Provident Dispensary and Hospital. The hospital opened in 1870 under new management as the 'Altrincham Provident Dispensary and Hospital, and Lloyd Fever Hospital.'. The latter section was transfered to the local Board of Health in 1877. The remainder was known as Altrincham General Hospital from 1935 onwards.

Records can be found at:

Charities Commission

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1941 - 1941

   Estates

1941 - 1941

Finding aids

Finding aids

Brief Guide(BG)

Location of finding aids

Details

WIHM: BG: 1981 UMIST survey of the North West.

Abbey Lawn, Stretford Memorial Hospital

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1970 - 1970

   Ephemera

1970 - 1970

Finding aids

Finding aids

Brief Guide(BG)

Location of finding aids

Details

WIHM: BG: 1981 UMIST survey of the North West.

notes

  Greater Manchester County Record Office

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1853 - 1970

   General

1853 - 1951

   Finance

1880 - 1956

   Estates

1934 - 1942

   Admission & Discharge

1933 - 1958

   Ephemera

1905 - 1970

Clinical & Patients

1928 - 1949

Finding aids

Finding aids

Brief Guide(BG)

Location of finding aids

Details

WIHM: BG: 1981 UMIST survey of the North West.

notes

  Altrincham Central Library

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1858 - 1947

   General

1858 - 1947

   Ephemera

1894 - 1914

   Other

1870 - 1870

Finding aids

Finding aids

Brief Guide(BG)

Location of finding aids

Details

WIHM: BG: 1981 UMIST survey of the North West.

 
 
search again
 
The National Archives Newsletter Icon

Send me The National Archives’ newsletter

A monthly round-up of news, blogs, offers and events.