The National Archives
Search our website
  • Search our website
  • Search our records
   
 
Montage of three nurses. All images © Wellcome Library, London. References: L0010490, L0018470, L0010789. Hospital Records Database
Welcome (Hospital Records home page) About Hospital Records
Search Help - opens in a new window
 
 
 

Details: Barnet Isolation Hospital, Barnet

search again
 
 
Go to:  Name  |  Administration  |  Status/Type  |  Other info  |  Records

Name

 

Present name

Barnet Isolation Hospital 

Previous name(s)

Barnet Rural District and Urban District and East Barnet Valley Urban District Isolation Hospital (1917 - 1948)
Barnet Infectious Diseases Hospital (1906 - 1917)  

Address

Mays Lane Or Mays Road Barnet  

Foundation Year

c1906 

Closed

Yes 

Closure year

1948 

Administrative authorities

Regional Hospital Board (1948-74)

North West Metropolitan 

Hospital Management Committee (1948-74)

Barnet Group 

Regional Health Authority (1974-82)

Not Applicable 

Regional Health Authority (1982- )

Not Applicable 

District Health Authority (1974-82)

Not Applicable 

District Health Authority (1982- )

Not Applicable 

County (before 1974)

Hertfordshire 

County (1974-1996)

Not Applicable 

County (after 1996)

Not applicable 

Status

Pre 1948

Local Authority

Post 1948

NHS

Type

Pre 1948

Isolation

Post 1948

Other information

Barnet Isolation Hospital was built between 1906 and 1907 to serve Barnet Urban District, East Barnet Valley Urban District and the Rural District of Barnet. It had sixteen beds: two wards with four beds and an observation block with eight beds. It was situated in Mays Road. Under the Barnet Isolation Hospital Order, 1902, the Barnet Hospital Committee was created, consisting of four representatives of Barnet Urban District Council, six representatives of East Barnet Valley Urban District Council and two representatives of Barnet Rural District Council. The Order stated that building was to commence on 30 June 1906 and was to be completed by 30 June 1907. In 1917 the hospital changed its name to Barnet Rural District and Urban District and East Barnet Valley Urban District Isolation Hospital. The hospital closed in 1948 on the formation of the National Health Service.

Records can be found at:

notes

  Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1936 - 1948

   General

1936 - 1948

Finding aids

Finding aids

Catalogue

Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR)

Details

At repository: CAT: HI3

Catalogues in A2A

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=046-h&cid=0External website - link opens in a new window

 
 
search again
 
The National Archives Newsletter Icon

Send me The National Archives’ newsletter

A monthly round-up of news, blogs, offers and events.