The Hospital Records database is no longer being updated. We continue to make this information available for inspection and reuse but can no longer guarantee its accuracy. You can search Discovery to find records held here at The National Archives and in other UK archives.
The National Archives
Search our website
  • Search our website
  • Search our records
   
 
Montage of three nurses. All images © Wellcome Library, London. References: L0010490, L0018470, L0010789. Hospital Records Database
Welcome (Hospital Records home page) About Hospital Records
Search Help - opens in a new window
 
 
 

Details: St George's Hospital, Leeds

search again
 
 
Go to:  Name  |  Administration  |  Status/Type  |  Other info  |  Records

Name

 

Present name

St George's Hospital 

Address

Wood Lane Rothwell Leeds LS26 0RW 

Foundation Year

1903 

Closed

Yes 

Closure year

1990 

Administrative authorities

Regional Hospital Board (1948-74)

Leeds 

Hospital Management Committee (1948-74)

Leeds Group (B) 

Regional Health Authority (1974-82)

Yorkshire 

Regional Health Authority (1982- )

Yorkshire 

District Health Authority (1974-82)

Leeds Western (Teaching) 

District Health Authority (1982- )

Leeds Western 

County (before 1974)

West Riding of Yorkshire 

County (1974-1996)

West Yorkshire 

County (after 1996)

Not applicable 

Status

Pre 1948

Poor Law

Post 1948

NHS

Type

Pre 1948

OTHER: Geriatric.

Post 1948

Geriatric

Other information

The hospital was built by the Rothwell, Methley and Hunslet Joint Isolation Hospital Committee which was constituted under the Isolation Hospitals Act 1893 by an order of the West Riding County Council 10 January 1900. St George's Hospital originated as the New Union Workhouse and Infirmary for the Hunslet Union, built in 1903 in Rothwell, after designs by Edward Dodgshun in 1897 [for plans see PLP/71]. It became St George's Hospital on being taken over by the Leeds Public Assistance Committee in 1930 when it was transferred to the Leeds Health Committee in 1934. In 1948 the Hospital was placed in the Leeds Group B Hospital Management Committee. After local government reorganisation in 1974 it was transferred to the Leeds Eastern District and soon after to the Leeds Western District. The Hospital was closed in December 1991.

Records can be found at:

notes

  West Yorkshire Archive Service, Leeds

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1863 - 1983

   General

1960 - 1964

   Nursing

1937 - 1983

   Admission & Discharge

1935 - 1970

   Staff

1937 - 1967

   Ephemera

1932 - 1933

   Pictorial

1903 - 1970

   Other

1936 - 1983

Finding aids

Finding aids

Catalogue

Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR)

Details

 
 
search again
 
The National Archives Newsletter Icon

Send me The National Archives’ newsletter

A monthly round-up of news, blogs, offers and events.