How to look for records of... Teachers and pupils

How can I view the records covered in this guide?

View online

How many are online?

  • None
  • Some
  • All

Order copies

We can either copy our records onto paper or deliver them to you digitally

Visit us in Kew

Visit us in Kew to see original documents or view online records for free

Pay for research

The National Archives holds the administrative and policy files of the government departments concerned with education, but not staff records of teachers or information about individual pupils. Where these survive, they are held by local archives.

What do I need to know before I start?

Try to find out:

  • the county or local authority
  • the name of the school
  • a date range to focus your search

Information about staff or pupils, including school log-books and admission and discharge registers, can sometimes be found in the relevant local archive.

Teacher training run by the state began in 1902, but denominational teacher training colleges began in the 19th century. Many schools existed as parish, national, Church of England, or voluntary schools, and their records may be found in the papers of relevant parishes. The records of nonconformist churches may also contain information about schools.

What records can I see online?

School registers and log books (1870-1914)

Search by pupils’ names the school registers and log books on findmypast (£). They include church, board, elementary and some secondary schools in England and Wales.

The records are from local archives and include handwritten registers, log-books (diaries recording the daily occurrences at the school, including absences, illnesses, visitors and holidays) and attendance records.

Teachers’ registration records (1870-1948)

Search teachers’ registration records on the Findmypast website (£) for teachers in England and Wales from 1870 to 1948.

What records can I find at The National Archives at Kew?

There are no records of individual teachers or pupils at The National Archives at Kew.

What records can I find in other archives and organisations?

Records held elsewhere

The National Archives’ catalogue has details of collections held by over 2,500 archives across the UK. Search our catalogue and refine your results using the filters.

What other resources will help me find information?


Read Education and the State from 1833 by Ann Morton (PRO, 1997).