Certificates of alien arrivals and returns and papers (1810-1869)
Search and download certificates of alien arrivals (HO 2) and returns and papers (HO 3) on ancestry.co.uk (£). The records can be searched by name of alien, date and port of arrival and country/place of origin.
Aliens’ entry books (1794-1921)
Browse aliens’ entry books, 1794-1921, including indexes to certificates of alien arrivals (HO 5/25-28) on ancestry.co.uk (£).
Aliens registration cards (1876-1991)
Search a sample of aliens registration cards in MEPO 35 on our website (£).
Incoming passenger lists (1878-1960)
Search incoming passenger lists from BT 26 on Ancestry.co.uk (£) for people arriving by sea from countries outside Europe and the Mediterranean area.
Non-parochial registers (1567-1858)
Search non-parochial registers in RG 4 on BMDregisters.co.uk (£) for records of births, baptisms, marriages, deaths and burials of refugees kept by the French, Dutch, German and Swiss churches for various periods between 1567 and 1858.
Alien subsidy returns and letters of denization (1330-1550)
Search for records of immigrants living in England between 1330 and 1550 on the online England’s immigrants database, drawn from alien subsidy returns in E 179 and letters of denization in C 67.
Records of enemy aliens and internees, First and Second World Wars
Search by first and last name for enemy aliens and internees in the First and Second World Wars on findmypast.co.uk (£).
Alternatively you can browse the digitised collections of enemy aliens and internees by year and by record series.
The records include:
- First World War internment lists in HO 144/11720 (1915 and 1918)
- Central Register of Aliens in United Kingdom; policy of internment and repatriation of alien enemies in HO 45/11522 Parts 1 and 2 (1914-1924)
- reception and internment of aliens: list of internees in PCOM 9/661-662 (1938-1946)
- nominal rolls for various internment camps at Isle of Man: HO 215/469 (Hutchinson), HO 215/471 (Metropole), HO 215/473 (Mooragh), HO 215/475 (Onchan), HO 215/478 (Port Erin) and HO 215/502 (married camp)
- people interned or considered for internment by the British in the Second World War in HO 396 (1939-1947)