Criminal registers for England and Wales (1791-1892)
Search criminal registers for England and Wales (HO 26 and HO 27), 1791 to 1892, on Ancestry.co.uk (£).
Old Bailey trial records (1674-1913)
Search for records of Old Bailey trials from 1674 to 1913 at Old Bailey Proceedings Online.
Criminals, convicts and prisoners (1770-1935)
Search among the assorted records of criminals, convicts and prisoners on Findmypast.co.uk (£) for records including:
- registers of convicts in prison hulks 1818-1831 (ADM 6)
- after-trial calendars of prisoners 1855-1931 (CRIM 9)
- Home Office calendars of prisoners 1868-1929 (HO 140)
- criminal petitions 1817-1858 (HO 17)
- Metropolitan Police habitual criminals registers 1903-1914 (MEPO 6)
- Prison Commission prison records 1880-1885 (PCOM 2)
- judge’s reports on criminals (please see below for further information)
Judges’ reports on criminals (1784-1830)
Search, by name and/or keyword, the judges’ reports on criminals in HO 47.
These can include witness statements, character references of witnesses, as well as memorials and petitions from friends and relatives of the accused.
Please note, these records are available to view on findmypast (£) however you can find much information out about the records from the descriptions in our catalogue. Therefore you may prefer to start with a search of our catalogue.
Index to criminal petitions (1797-1853)
Search by name the index to criminal petitions (HO 19) on findmypast (£). Once you find a relevant entry you can then find the petition in HO 17 or HO 18.
When searching for a petition in HO 17 or HO 18 you can start by searching Discovery, our catalogue which has detailed descriptions of many of these petitions. Some of these petitions are available to view on findmypast.