- Friends of The National Archives
- Free enewsletter
- Social media
- Have your say
User Advisory Group
The User Advisory Group provides an opportunity for users of The National Archives to get involved in the organisation's planning and decision-making processes at an earlier stage and a more strategic level than ever before. It offers enthusiastic and committed representatives, or delegates, a unique opportunity to represent the needs and views of users in discussions about The National Archives' current services and future plans.
Please see the Delegates page for further information on current delegates and how to contact them.
Delegates in the group represent different sections of our user community, not only their own interests. As well as attending meetings of the group itself, each delegate has a responsibility to cascade the details of the User Advisory Group meetings to members of their user community and gather feedback from them. You can find further details in the terms of reference below.
Dates of meetings
Meetings are held at The National Archives in Kew four times a year. Dates of forthcoming meetings are:
Tuesday 15 March 2016, 12:00-14:30
Tuesday 21 June 2016, 12:00-14:30
Tuesday 20 September 2016, 12:00-14:30
Tuesday 06 December 2016, 12:00-14:30
Tuesday 14 March 2017, 12:00-14:30
Seeking new delegates
We are seeking three new voluntary representatives to join our User Advisory Group, for a minimum term of one year's service.
Delegates represent 'the voice' of different sections of our user community. As well as attending meetings, they engage with members of their user communities.
We would particularly like to hear from people who feel they could effectively represent one or more of the following groups:
- map room users - particularly those working with pre-1800 records
- family history Societies - someone who is part of the network of family history societies
- onsite personal interest researchers - particularly those interested in areas other than genealogy.
Representatives will also need to demonstrate they have the qualities to actively participate in the group, including:
- Willingness to express the views of their communities in the setting of a large meeting
- Time to prepare for meetings, including reading papers and networking
- Ability to see the 'bigger picture'
Submit an expression of interest
If you are interested, please email us at UAGrecruitment@nationalarchives.gsi.gov.uk with the following information:
- Indicate in the subject line of your email that it is an expression of interest
- Indicate which sections(s) of the user community you would like to represent; if you list more than one, please rank them in order of preference
- Tell us about your experience as an archive user and why you feel that you would be suitable as a delegate (please write no more than 150 words)
- Give examples to show that you have the personal qualities required as a delegate (please write no more than 150 words)
- Indicate your ideas and suggestions for how you would share details of the group to the user community or communities that you would be representing, and how you would gather feedback (please write no more than 150 words)
You can check which user groups are already represented by looking at our current delegates page. If you feel that there is a group missing and that you would like to represent them, please also specify this in your email.
Delegates will be selected based upon the information provided. The closing date for expressions of interest is 29 February 2016 at 17:00.
Terms of Reference (PDF, 0.14MB)
This page contains PDF files. See plug-ins and file formats for help in accessing these file types.