Identity papers of Major Martin.
Catalogue ref: WO106/5921
What would German intelligence have known at the time?
- They would have known what British identity papers looked like.
- They would have known it was common to lose a pass and get it replaced.
- They would have known that the Combined Operations department was where important politicians, officials and military commanders planned the war effort.
- They would have seen the dead body of Major Martin (you can see a picture of the dead man at the opening this task).
- They would have seen the post mortem report that said that he drowned.
What would they have learnt from this document?
- Does this seem to be a genuine document?
- Does the photograph on this I.D. card match the picture of the dead man (you can see this at the opening this task)?
- What conclusions do you think the Germans reached after studying this document?
Use this table to record your conclusions.