*

Templar's House

Templar's House

 

Templar's House (then known as the Blue Posts tavern), with sign 'Washing done by hand' View of west front from Church Street (later Mare Street), Hackney c1820 Pen and ink wash, c1820 (House demolished c1825)

The Templar's House had long fallen into multi-occupancy when this watercolour of about 1800 was made.The projecting centre bay with the Ionic columns and broken pediments and two side ones had originally been capped by domes simillar to those on Hatfield House,suggesting that it was either built new in the later part of the 16th century,or was altered from an earlier building. The Templar's name came from the estate of that Order in Hackney,which later became Kingshold Manor .One of the earliest of Hackney's private schools was established in 1643 by Mary Perwich occupying a 36 hearth house which may have been at the north end of Church Street,and so could have been the Templar's House. Mary's daughter Susanna was a noted violinist and attracted a distinguished audience from London. Around 1750 the house became a tavern, The Blue Posts, and was used by the vestry as a meeting place to conduct parish business.The southern part of Lower Clapton Road was once Bob's Hall Lane from the alternative name for the house .After 1777 the landlord, a Mr Wright built an assembly room at the rear,which survived the demolition of the old house [said by Clarke to be between 1825-7,though a building very like the Templar's House still appears on the 1831 map of Hackney].

 

*