*

Rectory

Rectory

 

This view is a detail from the full engraving. The building in the centre with the two small chimneys at the rear is the 1764 conversion of Hackney's former rectory. This is the only known image of the building.

The picture is of the Mermaid Tavern, Hackney, 12 August 1811. Balloon ascent from the gardens of the Mermaid Tavern by Mr Sadler and Captain Paget. There are two colour engravings and one lithograph etching from a drawing taken on the spot.

 

*