This lesson sequence for year 8 students was written by Hannah Wallace from Notre Dame RC Girls School in Southwark.
Overall enquiry question
When did plantation workers in Barbados truly become free?
- use original sources to investigate the key features of a past society
- develop an understanding of the nature of change
- develop understanding of the causes and consequences of key events
Contextual essay (PDF, 0.02Mb)
Lesson plans (PDF, 0.02Mb)
Powerpoints and documents (ZIP, 6.42Mb)
Rationale for lesson plans (PDF, 0.01Mb)
- Witnessing the African slave trade
- What does a slave rebellion look like?
- Was 1807 really the end of the slave trade?
- Remembering victims of the slave trade
- How proud can Britain be?
- How powerful were slaves?
- How important were Africans to the Atlantic slave trade?
- Childhood slavery in North Africa
- 3 doors into 33,000 voyages