This lesson sequence for 14-17 year old students with severe learning and physical needs was written by Scott Harper from Pen-Y-Bryn Senior Special School in Swansea.
Overall enquiry question
What were the living conditions of plantation slave children like?
- understand basic concepts of freedom and slavery
- understand how slaves would have lived
- tie in with social skills curriculum
Lesson plans (PDF, 0.49Mb)
Sources (PDF, 1.01Mb)
Contextual essay (PDF, 0.13Mb)
- Witnessing the African slave trade
- What does a slave rebellion look like?
- Was 1807 really the end of the slave trade?
- Remembering victims of the slave trade
- Lick and lock up done wid
- How proud can Britain be?
- How powerful were slaves?
- How important were Africans to the Atlantic slave trade?
- 3 doors into 33,000 voyages