Photograph of damage caused by the raid to Edwin Place, Porter Street, Hull. 1916 (AIR 1/569/16/15/142)
4. This is a photograph of damage caused by the raid to Edwin Place, Porter Street, Hull. Three people were killed and several injured here.
- In what ways does this source add to our understanding of the raid on Hull?
- Which of these three sources do you find most useful for finding out about the raid?
- The Zeppelin raids of 1915 brought death to ordinary civilians, in their own homes. Was this a new feature of warfare?
- Use your knowledge of the First World War and this lesson to explain the meaning of the concept of ‘total war’