Trimdon Grange Explosion by Tommy Armstrong
Lyrics – Trimdon Grange Explosion
Let us not think of to-morrow,
Lest we disappointed be;
All our joys may turn to sorrow,
As we all may daily see.
To-day we may be strong and healthy,
But how soon there comes a change,
As we may learn from the explosion,
That has been at Trimdon Grange.
Men and boys left home that morning,
For to earn their daily bread,
Little thought before that evening
That theyâ€™d be numbered with the dead;
Let us think of Mrs. Burnett,
Once had sons but now has none,
By the Trimdon Grange explosion,
Joseph, George and James are gone.
February left behind it
What will never be forgot;
Weeping widows, helpless children,
May be found in many a cot,
Homes that once were blest with comfort,
Guided by a fatherâ€™s care,
Now are solemn, sad and gloomy,
Since the father is not there.
Little children, kind and loving,
From their homes each day would run
For to meet their fatherâ€™s coming,
As each hard dayâ€™s work was done.
Now they ask if fatherâ€™s left them,
Then the mother hangs her head;
With a weeping widowâ€™s feelings,
Tells the child that â€˜fatherâ€™s deadâ€™.
God protect the lonely widow,
Help to raise each drooping head;
Be a Father to the orphans,
Never let them cry for bread.
Death will pay us all a visit,
They have only gone before;
We may meet the Trimdon victims
Where explosions are no more.
2. Read Source 2: Trimdon Grange Explosion. This song was written by a local man, Tommy Armstrong, at the time of the disaster.
- Read â€˜Trimdon Grange Explosionâ€™. What do you think is happening in the song?
- Discuss with your partner, and make a simple storyboard or flowchart of events
- The song mostly uses literal language (says exactly what it means). What effect does this have on the reader?
- Working in groups, choose one verse of the song, and freeze-frame the different events in that verse
- Watch your friendsâ€™ performances, and evaluate their work. Think about what they have done really well and why, and what they could do to improve their performance