Plan of the flower garden at Nuneham Courtney, Oxfordshire belonging to the Honourable Earl of Harcourt, 1785 (WORK 38/349)
Nuneham House is a good example of villa revival in the 1750s. It was built for Earl Harcourt, one of George III’s leading courtiers. Sir Simon Harcourt had become Earl Harcourt in 1749.
In 1777 his son George, the 2nd Earl of Harcourt, inherited the villa with its classical gardens, and hired Capability Brown to improve the landscape and house. William Mason laid out a new flower garden.