A propaganda leaflet designed for distribution in West Africa. It was printed in the early 1940s (INF 2/1 pt. 4)
1. This is a propaganda leaflet designed for distribution in West Africa. It was printed in the early 1940s. Your task is to study both the words and pictures in this leaflet in order to work out how it tried to persuade West Africans to support Britain rather than Hitler.
The leaflet is a piece of persuasive writing and uses a number of writer’s tricks. See how many of the following you can spot being used:
- alliteration (a phrase where adjacent or closely related words begin with the same letter sound)
- personal pronouns ‘you’ and ‘your'; count how many times they appear
- references to the reader’s children
- loaded words – ‘partner’ and ‘slave’
- repetition of the key idea.