Extracts from the Minute of the conversation between Neville Chamberlain and Adolf Hitler at Berchtesgaden (FO 371/21738)
I could give him my personal opinion which was that on principle I had nothing to say against the separation of the Sudeten Germans from the rest of Czechoslovakia, provided that the practical difficulties could be overcome.« Return to Chamberlain and Hitler 1938
2. These three sources are extracts from the minutes of the conversation between Chamberlain and Hitler at Berchtesgaden.
Look at Source 2a. Write a summary of this part of the meeting by adding one sentence to each of these three starters:
- Hitler said: “…”
- Chamberlain queried: “…”
- Hitler replied: “…”
Look at Source 2b
- What threat does Hitler make here?
- How does Chamberlain respond?
Look at Source 2c
- What does Chamberlain suggest to Hitler?
- Sudetenland was part of Czechoslovakia. No Czech representative was present at this meeting. Did Chamberlain have the right to make this offer?
Hitler was capable of being charming, of lying and of bullying. Find examples of all three of these aspects of his personality in all three sources.