Jamaican village scene with women carrying produce on their heads c1950 (INF 10/153)« Return to Bound for Britain
1. Look at Source 1 a, b and c. These photographs were all taken in Jamaica around 1950. They show the way people on the islands were used to living. Look at the photographs carefully and answer the following questions:
- What animals can you see? What do you think they might be used for?
- What different forms of transport can you see?
- Look at the houses in the photographs. What are they made from?
- Do you think it would be comfortable to live in these houses? Give your reasons
- Compare where you live to the city shown in photograph 1c. Is it similar or different?
- Look at the way the people in the photographs are dressed. Why do you think they dressed this way?