Census return for James Lillywhite, 1891 (RG 12/844)
Download the transcript of James Lillywhite’s census return (XLS, 21.50 Kb)
St Scholar – Scholarship pupil« Return to 19th century people
2. To find out more we can look at a census return. Source 2 is the actual census form which was filled in for James Lillywhite on census night 1891. Study the heading for each column carefully.
- Find James and his family on the census.
- What did James Lillywhite do for a living?
- What was the name of his wife?
- How many children did he have?
- Does this number match up with the photograph?
- Put names to the faces.
- This census was taken in 1891, work out what the childrens ages were in 1887 – how does this compare to what you thought in question 1?
- Why is there a cricket bat in the photograph?
- Did they have servants?
Which source would be more valuable for finding out about this family?