- How convincing are the arguments used by Khrushchev in this letter about:
a. the Communists wanting peace,
b. the likely result of a war,
c. the missiles in Cuba not being intended for an attack?
- How would you have replied if you had wanted to bring the crisis to a peaceful end?
- How would you have replied if you had wanted to show the Soviet Union that you were not prepared to let the missiles remain in Cuba?
- Having read this letter, do you regard Khrushchev as recklessly risking world peace or as a reasonable leader prepared to compromise?
- Why do you think Khrushchev rather than Kennedy was the first to give way?
- Does this mean that Khrushchev should be given greater credit for resolving the missile crisis than Kennedy?