"THE GLORIOUS DEAD": SIR DOUGLAS HAIG SALUTING.
SYMBOLISING THE TRUE SPIRIT OF THE PEACE CELEBRATIONS: THE CENOTAPH IN WHITEHALL TO "THE GLORIOUS DEAD"- SIR DOUGLAS HAIG (LEFT FOREGROUND) SALUTING IT AS HE RODE BY.
The mood of rejoicing over the victorious end of such a war as we have gone through was tempered, in thousands of hearts, by the remembrance of the dead whose sacrifice made the victory possible, These thoughts were duly symbolised in the fine cenotaph erected in the middle of Whitehall to commemorate the men and women who died in the service of their country. The monument embodied the true spirit of the occasion. It had been arranged that, as the troops approached it in the procession, they should divide into two columns, and march past at the salute, those on the right with "eyes left," and those on the left with "eyes right". Owing, however, to a movement of the great crowd, which there was no time to alter, there was no space left on the right of the cenotaph, and the procession passed without dividing. The memorial, designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, consisted of a simple pylon 33ft. high. On either side were arranged groups of flags. Above the three steps of the base was carved: "The Glorious Dead, 1914-1919." At the top of the column was placed an alter containing a brazier. At each corner stood a Guardsman with arms reversed.