Study this source carefully. It contains information that could be useful in your presentation on life in the trenches. As you study the source, ask yourself:
- Who are the soldiers described by Rawlinson and what does he think of them?
- In what ways are these soldiers typical of British forces and in what ways are they unusual?
- Read the useful notes. Do these sources help to explain how and why morale in the Army was generally good for most of the war?
- Which aspects of trench warfare do these sources provide information on?
- How could any of these sources be used in your final presentation?