Study this source carefully. It contains information that could be useful in your presentation on life in the trenches. As you study the source, ask yourself:
- What does this source tell you about the positions of German and British trenches in relation to each other?
- Imagine you were in the British trench. Do you think you would be able to hear the Germans?
- In the autumn of 1915, British forces attacked the German positions. What obstacles would troops on this section of line have to get through in their attack?
- Would this source be useful to the commander of an artillery unit?
- Which aspects of trench warfare does this source provide information on?
- How could this source be used in your final presentation?