Study this source carefully. There are details in this source that will help you to answer the key question. As you study the source, ask yourself:
- Does this document give the impression that the British regard Germany as a threat?
- Does this document suggest that the British knew about the Schlieffen Plan?
- Do you get the impression that the British government is expecting war with Germany - or simply being cautious?
- How important is Belgium in the British plans?
- How big was the British army compared to the German army that might invade France?
- What would be the main value of the British forces that might go to France?
- Does there appear to be any doubt that Britain would oppose Germany if it invaded France?