- This is a report sent by the intelligence services to the Prime Minister
in September 1964.
- The background to this note is a series of confusing reports emerging from
Moscow in September 1964.
- A number of Japanese officials visited Khrushchev at that time. Khrushchev
apparently told the Japanese that the USSR had a new weapon which could destroy
the whole world.
- Khrushchev later denied that he said this. He claimed that he had been misunderstood.
Despite this, reports in the press and investigations by the intelligence
services continued for weeks afterwards.
- One reason may be that the USSR did develop and test a 50 megaton superbomb
in 1961. This test was the largest man made explosion ever. The USSR did develop
at least two more of these superbombs.
- The JIC is the Joint Intelligence Committee.