- Churchill was Secretary of State for War at the time
of this source.
- In 1919 the Bolsheviks controlled Central and Northern
Russia. Churchill himself had been with British forces in the Northern Russian
port of Archangel.
- When Churchill mentions the Armistice he means the Armistice
that ended the First World War in November 1918.
- Japan was one of the countries which sent troops and
supplies to help the Whites against the Bolsheviks in the Civil War.
- Denikin was one of the leaders of the White forces in
the Civil War.