- Managing and governing
- Developing your audience
- Archives and records
- Archive Service Accreditation
- About Archive Service Accreditation
- Applying for Archive Service Accreditation
- Management of Archive Service Accreditation
- Assessment for Archive Service Accreditation
- Award of Archive Service Accreditation
- Approved places of deposit
- Accredited archive services
- Renewing Archive Service Accreditation
- Removal of accredited status
Archive Service Accreditation
Standards schemes and frameworks help archives to manage and improve their efficiency and effectiveness through external validation, and by identifying good practice. They also enable The National Archives to fulfil its statutory functions relating to approving places of deposit.
Archive Service Accreditation is the new UK wide standard for archives service which has been developed in partnership with the archives sector and its stakeholders through a process of co-creation and consultation. The standard defines good practice and agreed standards, thereby encouraging and supporting development. It is aimed at organisations that hold archive collections, whatever their constitution, and covers both private and public sector archives.
Accredited archive services provide a high level of service to their users, preserve their collections in line with national standards and are robust, sustainable services which plan and deliver ongoing improvement.
Archive Service Accreditation is central to the Archives for 21st Century priority to develop more effective services and increase sustainability within the sector.
Archive Service Accreditation:
- is a UK wide quality standard which offers a benchmark for gauging performance, recognising achievement and driving improvement with the archives sector
- raises the profile of archive services by building confidence and credibility both within the parent organisations and externally, through increased awareness and understanding
- helps archive services adapt and respond to user needs and interests, and develop their workforce
- encourages partnership working within and between organisations, by helping archive services to examine how best to deliver their services
- provides a robust framework for forward planning to improve procedures and policy and reduce organisational risk
- is a badge of external recognition which demonstrates quality services
- encourages professionalism in the archives sector
Archive Service Accreditation frequently asked questions (PDF, 0.12MB)
Archive Service Accreditation replaces:
- Standard for Record Repositories
- Framework of Standards
- Local Authority Self Assessment Scheme
- The National Archives' previous Inspection System for archives services
The National Archives' Standard for Records Repositories (PDF, 0.16MB)
Y Saforn Archifol Genedlaethol ar gyfer Archifdai (PDF, 0.20MB)
Framework of standards (PDF, 0.07MB)
List of repositories approved against former standard (PDF, 0.02MB)
This page contains PDF files. See plug-ins and file formats for help in accessing these file types.