What is Archives Revealed?
Archives Revealed is a new funding programme from The National Archives and The Pilgrim Trust which supports the cataloguing of archive collections. It is designed to transform access to archives for a wide range of users, enabling more people to engage with the UK’s rich documentary heritage.
Archives Revealed comprises two funding strands:
Awarding grants of up to £40,000 for archives to create catalogues of important archival collections. The grants will open up access to collections that matter to researchers and communities, and which increase public engagement with history.
The application deadline for phase 1 of Cataloguing Grants is 12 January 2018.
Up to £3,000 helping archives conduct collection analysis to support development of plans for future cataloguing priorities and projects.
The Scoping Grant fund will open in February 2018.
Archives Revealed is administered by a dedicated team at The National Archives.
Our aims, objectives and outcomes
Archives Revealed aims to enable archives to identify, catalogue and make accessible significant collections that would otherwise remain hidden. Through our funding strands we will help archives explore and assess their collections, and open up a wide range of archive collections to the public initiating new research, inspiring creative responses to archive material, and making connections with people and communities. We welcome applications from organisations seeking to explore innovative approaches to cataloguing.
Archives Revealed aims to help archives through the application process to build fundraising skills and confidence. We will provide archives with access to elearning, webinars and workshops designed to ensure more archives are able to access support and build resilience for the future.
The objectives of the Archives Revealed programme are
- to increase access to previously unavailable archive material
- to increase engagement with archive collections by wider audience groups
- to enable deeper use of archive material to further understanding of collections
- to increase confidence and skills of archivists to enable them to successfully secure income to fund archive development.
Through these aims and objectives, Archives Revealed will achieve the following outcomes:
- More collections of significance will be catalogued.
- Members of the public will be made aware of the newly catalogued material and will know how to access it.
- The newly catalogued archive material will be being used for a range of purposes.
- Archivists and sector professionals will have the confidence to advocate for their services and will be able to secure new funding for further projects.
Please see our FAQs for answers to the most popular questions and answers about the Archives Revealed programme.