- Who we are
- Executive team
- Management Board
- Boards and advisory groups
- Plans, policies, performance and projects
- Research and scholarship
- Collection care
- Advisory Council
- Advisory Panel on Public Sector Information
The National Archives reports to the Lord Chancellor. On policy matters concerning The National Archives and public and other records the Lord Chancellor relies on advice from the Chief Executive of The National Archives, and from officials in the Ministry of Justice. For independent advice on questions relating to access to public records he refers to the Advisory Council on National Records and Archives.
The Advisory Council's role
- The Council advises the Lord Chancellor on issues relating to public records that are over thirty years old, including public access to them, at the point of transfer to The National Archives.
- The Advisory Council advises on requests by government departments to keep their records.
- The Council also advises the Lord Chancellor on the public interest when departments want to keep historical records closed under certain exemptions.
- The Forum on Historical Manuscripts and Academic Research, a subcommittee of the Advisory Council (set up in May 2010), considers and provides advice to the Lord Chancellor on, matters relating to historical manuscripts, records and archives, other than the public records.
Advisory Council reports
The Advisory Council reports to the Lord Chancellor every year. This is published with the annual report of The National Archives.
Read the Advisory Council report 2012-13 (PDF, 0.10Mb)
Read the Advisory Council report 2011-12 (PDF, 0.06Mb)
Read the Advisory Council report 2010-11 (PDF, 0.06Mb)
Read the Advisory Council report 2009-10 (PDF, 0.04Mb)
Read the Advisory Council report 2008-09 (PDF, 0.10Mb)
Read the Advisory Council report 2007-08 (PDF, 0.05Mb)
Read the Advisory Council report 2006-07 (PDF, 0.05Mb)
Read the Advisory Council report 2005-06 (PDF, 0.05Mb)
If you have any questions about the Advisory Council or would like to make a Freedom of Information request, please contact:
Advisory Council on National Records and Archives
The National Archives
Surrey TW9 4DU
Tel: +44 (0) 20 8392 5337
Email: Advisory Council Secretary
This page contains PDF files. See plug-ins and file formats for help in accessing these file types.