You can read our annual report below to find out how we performed during 2016-17 and to see our accounts.
Annual report and accounts 2016-17
Download the annual report 2016-17 (PDF, 3.25MB)
In our annual report, we describe our work over the past year and explain how we used the funds allocated to us. This yearâ€™s annual report marks the halfway point forÂ Archives Inspire, our ambitious, audience-focused strategy.
Our achievements during 2016-17 included:
- the launch of Archives Unlocked, the new strategic vision for archives
- loaning Domesday Book, arguably one of the most significant historical documents in the world, to our partners Lincoln Castle for their major exhibition Battles and Dynasties
- our popular, sold-out, Archives at Night series drew several hundred people to Kew to immerse themselves in an interactive night of Victorian crime
- sharing our new research findings on William Shakespeareâ€™s will on national and international stages
- bringing 87% of all Acts of the UK Parliaments and Assemblies up to date by the end of March 2016
- releasing over 900 original records of financial assistance claims from the mid-1960s by UK victims of Nazi persecution, in conjunction with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- teaching more than 8,700 students on site at Kew and via our virtual classrooms
- our online catalogue, Discovery, now provides a comprehensive search of text within a record â€“ a technique which is currently applied to the Cabinet Papers series.
- retaining the Customer Service Excellence standard for the 18th consecutive year and gaining an additional compliance standard.
Annual reports and accountsÂ from previous years
Download the annual report and accounts 2015-16Â Â (PDF, 2.0Â MB)
Download the annual report and accounts 2014-15Â (PDF, 17.20 MB)
Download the annual report and accounts 2013-14Â (PDF, 6.39 MB)
Download the annual report and accounts 2012-13Â (PDF, 2.65 MB)
Summary of public records transmitted to The National Archives
This report is produced annually.Â It provides a summary of the public records transmitted to The National Archives from various sources.Â It gives a brief description for each piece, including the dates covered.
Download the accessioning report for 2016-17 (PDF, 0.24MB)
Download the accessioning report for 2015-16Â (PDF, 0.45 MB)
Download the accessioning report for 2014-15Â (PDF, 0.45 MB)
Exercise of delegated powers conferred on the Lord Chancellor by the Public Records Act 1958
ThisÂ report is produced annually. It gives details on how The National Archives has exercised particular powers delegated to our Chief Executive and KeeperÂ by the Lord Chancellor.
These documents provide information on:
- approval given for the transfer of public records between The National Archives and places of deposit, in either direction
- the appointment of approved places of deposit for public records with specific local relevance or particular specialist and administrative requirements, which are held outside The National Archives
- approval given for the presentation of public records that have not been selected for permanent preservation at The National Archives to other appropriate bodies
Download the exercise of delegated powers report for 2015-16Â (PDF, 0.17 MB)
Download the exercise of delegated powers report for 2014-15Â (PDF, 0.01 MB)
Staff engagement survey
Read the results of our staff engagement survey in the Transparency section of our website.
Accounting officer system statements
Alongside our annual report and accounts, for this year, HM Treasury have asked that departments prepare Accounting officer system statements. Visit GOV.UK to find out more about them.
ReportsÂ in the UK Government Web Archive
SeeÂ reports and appendicesÂ from previous yearsÂ in the UK Government Web Archive: