At the National Archives, we have been imaging our own vast collection of records since the 1960s, initially producing microfilm. We began the shift to digital outputs over ten years ago, and now digitise around 8 million pages of archival material per year.
We have built up significant experience and a highly qualified team of digitisation experts. Although we continue to digitise our own material, we have capacity to undertake digitisation projects for other organisations. To read more about our digitisation services, see our brochure.
Your digitisation project
We help other archives, businesses and private organisations develop and modernise their own collections.
We appreciate that each archive and collection is unique and our team can work with you to develop a bespoke service to meet your requirements.
The services we offer
- free on-site consultation and advice
- conservation services and expert document preparation
- digitisation of original documents and microfilm
- secure storage of material
- creation of different file types to suit your records (TIFF, JPEG, JPEG2000, PDF)
- metadata creation
- optical character recognition (OCR) and transcription
- advice on preservation and data storage solutions
The first stage of a digitisation project is to define the business requirements, as these guide everything that follows. We can provide advice and guidance to help you do this, creating a solution that meets your long-term strategic needs.
An accurate estimation is calculated by our estimation team based on:
- a physical page count of each document
- an overview of project specifications; image file format and resolution
- learning about any requirements for optical character recognition (OCR) or transcription
- consideration of transportation of the documents from and to the client’s premises
The key to a successful digitisation project is to fully understand the material and the requirements of the organisation.
Through our years of experience, we recognise that there is no such thing as a safe assumption; putting the effort in to scope out a project accurately invariably leads to a smooth process.
We will work with you to understand your needs in order to produce a robust plan that can be delivered on time and to budget. To begin this process, please email us.