Access to Archives

Part of the UK archives network

RAWCLIFFE HALL HOSPITAL


The entire contents of this catalogue are shown below. Browse the hierarchical structure instead

Reference RAW
Covering dates c1921-late 20 century
Held by York University, Borthwick Institute for Archives
Conditions of access Patients records are closed for 100 years from the last date of the document, but research access to patient's records less than 100 years old may be possible in certain circumstances. Staff records are closed for 75 years from the last date of the document. General administrative records such as minutes of meetings and accounts are closed to the public for 30 years from the last date of the document.
Archival history Few archives survive for the hospital, and those which do survive are for the post NHS period, when Rawcliffe Hall was administered by York 'B' Group Hospital Management Committee. There are no patients records.
The volume of House Committee minutes was located at Clifton Hospital Administration; while the papers relating to land and buildings were found at the Clifton Hospital Estates Department. The photographs were at Bootham Park.
Creators Rawcliffe Hall Hospital, c 1921 - 1994, Goole
Related information See also the Claypenny Hospital archive (CLA), for some references to Rawcliffe Hall: CLA 1/6/38 and CLA 1/3/3 (note that these are closed for 30 years).
Also helpful are the archives of NHS managing bodies - the records of York 'B' Group Hospital Management Committee and its successors (see separate lists). The York 'B' Group biennial printed reports, 1948-74 (YBG 1/2) are especially useful in giving an overview of developments in that period.

Administrative history:
Rawcliffe Hall Hospital, situated at Rawcliffe, near Goole, and a converted private mansion, was opened in c.1921 by the West Riding County Council as a mental deficiency hospital for women patients.
In 1948 the hospital became part of the Goole, Howden and Selby Hospital Management Committee, and when the latter was dissolved in 1966 Rawcliffe Hall came under York 'B' Group. It had 165 beds in 1966 and was occupied by women and children. There were around 140 resident patients in the early to mid 1960s, rising to over 150 patients by the early 1970s. The catchment area was mostly the south east region of the West Riding.
Much effort was made by York 'B' Group to develop the grounds and gardens which were in a 'poor state' in 1966. There were also improvements to the hospital building, and a major upgrading scheme took place in 1967-9 which improved facilities and added new ones, and included an overhaul of heating and sanitary facilities and redecoration.
A new children's unit was opened in 1966-7 with 23 beds. Children were admitted for observation and diagnosis and a proportion remained in residence. Other services at the hospital included a spastics unit and a hospital school with two full time teachers, and a department for disturbed and autistic children. A new occupational therapy building opened in 1969. In 1971 a new prefabricated unit of 30 beds, St Margaret's Ward, was opened for middle aged women patients who were moved from the main building in order to ease overcrowding. The new ward offered an informal 'hostel' environment. However, it was noted in 1971 that the overcrowding in the main block was still such that no progress could be made towards the establishment of separate ward units for patients on the first and second floors.
There were about 150 resident patients in the early 1970s. Community links were extended in this period: a 'League of Friends' was formed for the hospital in 1969 and the hospital was 'adopted' by Goole Grammar School, and pupils helped in the hospital and organised events. There were some further alterations in the early 1970s, including a new kitchen, new offices and stores accommodation, a new paddling pool and sandpit, and a new staff dining room. A domestic science department was opened in the old kitchen building.
In 1974, Rawcliffe Hall was retained within York Health District because its accommodation for women complemented the accommodation for men offered by Whixley Hospital.
However, in a further rationalisation of hospitals, Rawcliffe Hall, along with Bubwith Hostel, was transferred to Scunthorpe Health District, within Humberside Area Health Authority, on 1 April 1976. The hospital closed in 1994.

Contents:
SUMMARY LIST OF ARCHIVES
RAW 1 GENERAL ADMINISTRATIVE
RAW 1/1 Minutes
RAW 1/2 Photographs
RAW 2 LAND AND BUILDINGS
There are no plans and drawings
RAW 2/2 Papers relating to Land and Buildings
RAW 3 FINANCIAL
No surviving archives
RAW 4 STORES AND EQUIPMENT
No surviving archives
RAW 5 ESTABLISHMENT
No surviving archives
RAW 6 PATIENTS
No surviving archives
APPENDIX
Photographs of Rawcliffe Hall Hospital in York 'B' Group Hospital Management Committee Printed Reports



GENERAL ADMINISTRATIVE  RAW 1  [n.d.]

MINUTES  RAW 1/1  [n.d.]

York 'B' Group Hospital Management Committee: Rawcliffe Hall Hospital House Committee Minutes  RAW 1/1/1  9 May 1966-11 June 1968

PHOTOGRAPHS  RAW 1/2  [n.d.]

View of hospital building from front right  RAW 1/2/1  n.d. [1960s]

Children's ward interior  RAW 1/2/2  n.d. [1960s]

New boiler (2 copies)  RAW 1/2/3  n.d. [1960s]

LAND AND BUILDINGS  RAW 2  [n.d.]

PAPERS RELATING TO LAND AND BUILDINGS  RAW 2/2  [n.d.]

Bill of Quantities for proposed alterations to provide children's accommodation and lift at Rawcliffe Hall Hospital, Goole, P.B. Nash and Wheatley and Houldsworth  RAW 2/2/1  September 1963

APPENDIX PHOTOGRAPHS OF RAWCLIFFE HALL HOSPITAL IN YORK 'B' GROUP HOSPITAL MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE PRINTED REPORTS  [no ref. or date]

Contents:
These are in the York 'B' Group Archive (YBG). References and dates of reports are given below.

The front of Rawcliffe Hall, a hospital for women and children now included in the York 'B' Group - The 'special care' unit for little children set up in Rawcliffe Hall  YBG 1/2/10  1966-1967

New Occupational Therapy Department - Donkey and cart, children and staff (donkey and cart donated by 'Friends of Rawcliffe')  YBG 1/2/11  1968-1969

Opening of St Margaret's Ward by the Archbishop of York, 1971 (group photo) - St Margaret's Ward (interior)  YBG 1/2/12  1970-1971

Heated paddling pool with children (pool provided by 'Friends')  YBG 1/2/13  1972-1973

The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of York University, Borthwick Institute for Archives
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2014

The records described on this page are held by York University, Borthwick Institute for Archives